We spend a third of our lives doing it, so we know all about it, right? Well, not necessarily!
Take a look at our top ten facts about sleeping and see how much you really know about sleep.
1) ¼ people in the UK suffer from a sleeping disorder that causes them to be tired during the day
Image source: guernseypoets.blogspot.com
2) 3.5 million people in the UK are effected by snoring
3) Between 2 - 4pm, most of us will experience a dip in alertness
Image source: payscale.com
4) Those that get under 7 hours of sleep per night, are 30% more likely to be obese than those who get 9 hours or more.
5) In Britain last year, over 10 million prescriptions for sleeping pills were issued.
Image source: theguardian.com
6) Sleep increases your sex drive – those that get a decent night’s sleep will generally have higher libidos than those that don’t
7) Lack of sleep can weaken your immune system, meaning you’re more likely to pick up bugs and illnesses that are going round
Image source: champions-urgentcare.com
8) Being awake for 17 hours will decrease your performance the same amount as two glasses of wine
9) A number of international disasters, including Exxon Valdez, Chernobyl, Three Mile Island and the Challenger shuttle explosion, have been linked with a lack of sleep
Image source: listcrux.com
10) The current world record for the longest period without sleep is 11 days, set by Randy Gardner in 1965.