Shrove Tuesday falls on 4th March this year. Time to stock up on chocolate spread, bananas, lemons and sugar. Whether you have a preference for sweet or savoury pancakes, here's our pick of toppings which will make you want to extend pancake day to a pancake week!
Classic Basic Pancake Recipe
- Serves 4, makes 10-12 medium pancakes
- Preparation: 10 mins, Cook: 10-15 mins
- Ingredients: 100g plain flour, 1 large egg, 300ml milk, pinch of salt & oil for frying
- Sift the flour and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Make a well in the centre, break in an egg and pour in half the milk. Whisk together, gradually incorporating the flour to make a smooth, thick batter. Beat well to remove lumps, then stir in the rest of the milk.
- Heat a little oil or butter in a medium frying pan, then tip off the excess into a bowl. Pour approximately 2 tablespoons of batter into the pan, tilting it as you pour, until the batter thinly coats the base. Cook over a moderate heat for 30 seconds to 1 minute, until golden brown on the underside.
- Flip the pancake using a palette knife to turn it over. Cook the other side until golden brown, slide onto a plate and top with your toppings of choice. Cook the remaining pancakes one at a time.
Ham, Cheese and Spinach Pancake Topping
- 250g young spinach leaves
- 180g (6 slices) finely sliced honey roast ham, chopped and trimmed of fat
- 200g cheese finely grated, a strong cheddar, goats or Gruyère cheese work well
- After the first flip, layer on your filling in the middle - spinach, ham & cheese.
- The heat from the frying pan will wilt the spinach, melt the cheese & warm the ham.
- Fold your pancake around the filling & serve immediately.
- This savoury pancake recipe goes really well with a tomato salad.
Mandarin and Passion Fruit Pancake Topping
- 4 Mandarins - 2 peeled & segmented, 2 juiced (you could use tinned in natural juice)
- 2 Passion fruits, cut in half with pulp scooped out
- 20g Caster sugar
- Pour the mandarin juice & sugar into a pan; place over a low - medium heat stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Once dissolved boil for 2-3 minutes, until it becomes a syrup consistency.
- Add the mandarins and passion fruits and keep boiling and stirring for 30 seconds to warm through.
- Remove from heat, pour over pancakes and enjoy!
Mixed Berry Compote Pancake Topping
- 400g fresh mixed berries, frozen work just as well
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- 1 tablespoon water
- Vanilla mascarpone: 250g mascarpone & 1tsp vanilla bean paste mixed together
Image credit: Ocado
- Simply add all of the compote ingredients to a pan, bring to the boil and simmer for 3-4 minutes until the fruit softens.
- Mix the mascarpone & 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste together to create the vanilla mascarpone.
- Make pancakes layering them: pancake - vanilla mascarpone - berry compote.
- Serve with the mixed berry compote and vanilla mascarpone on the side.
- Add a sprinkle of icing sugar for a finishing touch. Delicious!
What is your favourite pancake and what pancakes will you be creating in your kitchen this Shrove Tuesday? Wishing you all a 'flipping' great Pancake Day!