Autumn is a magical time of year, there's no better way to spend time than to wrap up warm and get outside to enjoy the golds, reds, browns and orange displays mother nature puts on.
The vibrant hues of Autumn are not just for the outdoors you can bring them to your dinner plate when you return from your next Autumnal walk with one of this month's favourite seasonal vegetables, red cabbage.
Colourful and crunchy red cabbage can be more than just an accompaniment to a meal, as perfect as it is with meats like pork and game. Try red cabbage as a main course with this delicious Winter cabbage salad recipe.
Winter cabbage salad
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Here's what you need...
For the salad
• 1⁄2 small red cabbage, finely shredded
• 2 celery sticks, chopped
• 1 red and 1 green dessert apple, cored and diced
• 1 good handful of sultanas
• 1 good handful of walnut halves, roughly chopped
• 6 radishes, sliced
For the dressing
• 1⁄2 tsp English mustard
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 6 tbsp double cream, lightly whipped
• 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
• 2 tsp light soft brown sugar
Variation: The dressing can also be made with mayonnaise or crème fraîche instead of whipped cream.
Here's how to make it…
1. Mix all the salad ingredients together in a bowl.
2. In another bowl, add the mustard and a little salt and pepper to the cream. Whisk in the vinegar to form a thick pouring consistency. Sweeten with the sugar.
3. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss. Pile into a serving bowl.
Extracted from the Grown in Britain Cookbook, published by DK.
Will you be trying this Winter salad over the short days and dark nights? Have you used red cabbage in your cooking in any other inventive ways? Do let us know!